Monday, May 8, 2017

Budapest Bound

Moving on yet again.  A lot sad to leave Vienna as its so so beautiful.  Wont miss the daylight streaming into the room from 5 am though.  Was handy staying directly above a supermarket though I will admit!


feeding the swans

nice open supermarket

bakery section

dodgy looking spread

bacon section

Nate doing the scanning work
Had to stop again on the border to Hungary to get another Vignette sticker.  Only no sticker - just a receipt which was odd. We got scanned by the police not far after that so we think they checked us proper.

We arrived in Budapest earlier than planned and yep she looks like a beauty.  We thought we would take a chance on the accommodation being ready early so we could get settled and have a look around.  We parked the car in the closest car park and I went off to see where we were staying.  Its hard to describe but its like an alleyway that has a number of blocks of apartments every 100 metres or so.  I finally found the office one so went and booked in and got the keys to our apartment.  The alleyway is full of cafes, bars and restaurants which I first thought would be handy.  The second thought was OMG does everyone smoke here ?  So many Europeans smoke, i'm still struggling with it.

We grabbed our bags and pulled them through the alleyway to our unit.  We had a one bedroom split level apartment. Not at all like what the photos on the booking site looked like.  There was no air conditioning and the slanted roof had windows that could not be opened and were only covered with white curtains.  I was so disappointed - even within a couple of minutes I was sweating like crazy so I knew it wasn't going to work. I told Tony I was going to book something else, despite having already paid for this one.  Within a couple of minutes I had a new place just down the street. We repacked the car and I went to return the key and get my deposit back.  I figured the rest of the money was gone but didn't care at all.  Surprisingly they refunded the entire accommodation amount without really even seeming disappointed - weehoo!! 

With a little bit of a delay we had our new 2 bedroom unit - with a little balcony and air-conditioning.  The curtains didn't block out as much as we need but its 100% better!!

the old

the new

relaxing

No comments:

Post a Comment