They have a free bike hire scheme here much like the one in Vienna. I signed up on line and we waited for our verification numbers. We decided to wait in the little Tabac near the bike station so it was coffee and water for us. Inside we met a man with a beautiful French Bulldog. He asked us what we thought about Paris and what we were going to see.
![]() |
| cappucino |
We got our bikes from the machine pretty easily once the codes were active and took off westerly towards the river Seine and the Eiffel Tower. Perhaps took about 20 minutes to find our way to the base of the tower. Not sure, but I dont think we realised just how big this brute it. And it is magnificent. Wasn't too busy yet as it was quite early, but still pretty popular. We stayed and just took it in for a while before taking off again. I thought it would be nice to see the Trocadero gardens but realised the slop up would definitely beat me. Instead we stopped at a souvenir shop so that Tony could get his beret.
| postcard perfect |
| happy moments with the bikes |
| Jardins du Trocadero |
| The Seine |
We took off again and the next stop was to be the Invalides. Very ironic name that, as thats what I am today. I was feeling good on the bike so overly confident. We crossed a few roads and then for ssome reason I thought I would go up onto the footpath. Instead, I hit the footpath at great speed and my bike turned into a bucking bronco and threw me off onto said footpath.
It was like slomo for a few seconds - I felt myself fly through the air face first onto the ground, hands and arms out like superman. I started sobbing hysterically in part due to the pain and in part due to my stupidity. I sat and cried until Tony was able to heave me up onto my feet, and Nate started telling people to go away - he didn't like them gawking at me. Many stopped to ask me if I was ok which I thought was sweet.
That put an abrupt end to the cycling which also made me cry. We were able to hail down a taxi quickly which was good, although he asked if I wanted the hospital rather than the hotel. We returned to the hotel and I stripped off my dirty clothes, and pants that still have the skin from my knees attached, and got into bed. I pretty much stayed there all afternoon until dinner time. Thankgod we packed good analgesia as I'm going to need it! I'm not broken, just very sore and bruised.
We went for dinner across the road and had a really nice grilled meal. Tony and I had steak and Nate had duck. Was $18 each for the meat, salad and fries which I thought was pretty good value.
![]() |
| Duck, steak, steak |


No comments:
Post a Comment